News + Styles
By: April C. Kendall
Outside of becoming a health and beauty blogger, I’ve always wanted to model. Not specifically runway, but I always wanted to showcase my natural hair. It has been difficult because I was always too short and never the right size to do so. When I saw that EDEN BodyWorks was looking for real models I knew that this was something I wanted to do. I have always thought about this and wondered if this could be my reality. It is important to understand that dreams can not only turn into potential careers but more importantly bring happiness to your life. I decided to follow my aspirations of becoming a model. Life brings you opportunities that you cannot pass by. Here are a few tips to help you follow your goals:
- Follow your dreams: No dream is too big or too small to achieve. The only time it is not achievable is when you allow your dreams to remain a thought. Was I scared to submit my pictures to be considered? Absolutely! I have learned that it is okay to do things afraid. The unknown can be frightening, but the action of trying is quite rewarding. A no does not mean never, it can also mean that right now is not the right time to pursue your dream, but one day it will become your turn.
- Stand tall and represent: I love EDEN BodyWorks. Their coconut shea line is amazing. My two favorite products are their Coconut Shea Cleansing CoWash and Coconut Shea Hair Oil. These two products kept my hair moisturized and my curls defined. Before being selected as an EDEN Real Beauty, I was very familiar with the brand. This boosted my confidence because I already knew their products and how it positively affected my tresses. For whatever endeavor you wish to embark on, make sure you do your homework. Understand your dreams and everything that it can encompass for you and everyone involved.
- Be true to YOU: I’ve learned from this experience that being yourself is more than enough. There was no pressure for me to be someone that I was not. Feeling comfortable, like you are in your element opens you to a different level of confidence. Your personality and poise can stand out in the crowd - because what is meant for you just is.
I was excited when I got the news that I was selected to be one of EDEN BodyWorks Real Beauties. I believe that it is important to understand that no aspiration you have is hard to achieve and it can happen to anyone. Positive self-affirmations are influential for me. It allows you to set your own standards to continue to strive for greater personal depths. Never discredit opportunities such as social media posts. Do not let them pass you by. It can be your next break to fulfilling your purpose.
By Dayna Bolden - @itsdaynadane
Over the past month, I have been the busiest I have ever been. Between being a full time mother, wife, corporate business woman, and blogger, it can be hard to find time for myself. But one of the things that I wrote on my goals list for 2017 is to make MORE time for myself. Self-care for anyone is important, but especially for the busy hardworking women- we need it, but we often times neglect it!! Honestly, self-care can be achieved doing the simplest of things, like relaxing in the tub and pampering yourself at home. So, I want to share one of my favorite and easiest self-care routines and it includes the EDEN Body line!
I am an early riser. I am up every morning by 4:45am. I take this time to relax in bed, think about my day, and to really wake myself up (haha). I then start my self-care time by taking a nice relaxing shower. I turn the temperature on hot and allow the water to wash my stress, fatigue, and worries away. I think of only positive thoughts and not about what needs to “get done”. While in the shower, I use the EDEN Body Coconut Shea body wash. This body wash is so amazing. It is Enriched with Shea butter and Vitamin E, so it makes the skin ultra soft.
After I hop out of the shower, it is time to moisturize the skin. I use the EDEN Body body lotion. Not only does this lotion smell amazing, it is so lightweight and it is also made with the nourishing Shea and Vitamin E formula. I like to apply the lotion as I get right out of the shower and my skin is damp, to seal in the moisture.
At this point into my self-care routine, I am feeling good! I am so relaxed, my skin feels amazing, and I smell heavenly.
These simple everyday routines that you do without thinking can easily be turned into your self-care time. Taking the time to make this moment all about you, is really what helps build a healthy lifestyle mentally and physically. I love these moments, and I am so glad that I have the EDEN Body line while doing it! If you have not tried this body line, seriously, what are you waiting for! Thank me later.
Instagram, Facebook, Twitter: @itsdaynadane
At some point in our natural hair journey, we may get the itch to spice up our look with a little color. Natural hair is one of the best canvas’s for changing your hue. If you're considering permanently dyeing your hair for the first time, there are some precautions to take. EDEN BodyWorks family member, Tia Hurd, is sharing some tips that’ll help you achieve your new look, and how to maintain the integrity of your hair.
- You can use at-home dye if you're going for a one-dimensional dark hue. At-home dyes have come a long way over the past two decades. If you're going light, box dye won't be your best option, as these dyes often aren't strong enough to change hair from dark to light. But, if you're going dark, purchase a couple of boxes just to be on the safe side. Don’t make the mistake of underestimating the thickness of your hair.
@heygorjess - light to dark
- VISIT a salon if you want to lighten your hair. Everyone's hair is structured differently, and the exact formulation to achieve a multi-dimensional color may be complicated, but a professional who's well-versed in color will adapt to the actual tones of your hair.
- Go slow and steady with the dyeing process so as not to affect your curl pattern. If your color is done the right way, your curls should remain intact. Lightening your hair extensively in one session can cause damage that could affect your hair's natural texture. The bigger the difference in your natural hair color and your desired shade, the more likely it is that you'll experience a (temporary) loss of elasticity and a more loosened curl pattern.
- Highlights are great for low up-keep. Highlights are the choice of many naturalistas because you can go longer between touch-ups. They also give more of a natural, sun-kissed look and create dimension.
- Blondes have fun, but it’s sooooo much work. To achieve blonde hair color, you must perform multiple processes, use higher volume developers, and have longer processing times, all of which can become a recipe for disaster. The integrity and strength of your hair will change. This is where the expertise of a stylist comes into play. He or she can establish a prolonged dyeing regimen with you to eventually lift you to your desired color, as well as provide some highlight techniques that will offset a great deal of damage. Once you've become blonde, protective styles — such as sew-ins, box braids, twistouts, or cornrows — will give your strands a much-needed break after intense dyeing $$$
- Regular deep-conditioning is a must. Color-treated hair needs extra TLC, so I highly recommend deep conditioning at least once a week and investing in some top notch hair oils. EDEN BodyWorks's JojOba Monoi Deep Conditioner, followed by their JojOba Monoi Hair Oil (adds sheen and luster) is a power-paired duo that will leave your hair strengthened, soft and healthy. To achieve even better results, wrap hair with a plastic shower cap for 10-20 minutes while in the shower or with a steamer to activate the ingredients.
- Use a color-preserving shampoo to protect your hair after you dye it. Most color-preserving shampoos are free of stripping chemicals like sulfates, and they have a lightweight layer of protection that will prevent your color from bleeding out. Try EDEN BodyWorks's JojOba Monoi Shampoo.
- Leave-In Conditioner is now your best friend. Colored hair is prone to dryness. A leave-in helps protect and moisturize along with helping to detangle. Try EDEN BodyWorks's Coconut Shea Leave in Conditioner. It's has great slip and moisture!
If you have any personal hair dyeing tips, tricks or stories, please share with us in the comments below! We'll see you back here next week!