Kale Butternut Squash Quesadillas
By Shantelle Gary
I swear I never knew a love like this before……. Roasted Butternut Squash, Kale & Onions grilled in a spelt flour tortilla! I have no shame at all when I tell you that I ate all except one of them which is a testament to just how much I love my sister Tia who came over for lunch today. Lol. So, if you are looking for a new delicious healthy quesadilla recipe, look no further……. it has arrived.
- ½ a large butternut squash diced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 cup of red onion sliced
- 1 bunch of kale cleaned and chopped
- 1 tbs of garlic powder
- Extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- Sriracha sauce
- Flour tortillas (I used spelt flour tortillas)
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (optional) - If you’re new to veganism let me just give you the scoop on nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a non-active yeast that is typically used in vegan cooking when we want to give things a cheesy flavor. You can find it in almost any health food store or in the natural food section of most grocery stores. Whole foods also has it in the bulk section. When using it remember that a little goes a long way.
While you’re waiting for the squash to cook you can prepare the remaining ingredients. First place a large skillet over medium heat and add in about 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil and onions. Cook the onions for about 3-4 minutes and then add in the kale. Cook for and additional 6-7 minutes or until nice and tender. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
Remove the squash from the oven and carefully use the back of a spoon or fork to smash most of the squash. Next sprinkle on 1-1/2 tbs of nutritional yeast and season with sea salt to taste and mix well.